Followers

Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Alive!!!

Good Morning, dear reader. Once again, we are seeing the story of the empty tomb in John's Gospel. But, this time, the focus is solely on Mary Magdalene. We can see she is heartbroken over the death of Jesus, and now she comes to anoint His body but He's not there. She is bewildered. Who would take a body? Suddenly, someone appears. Maybe now she can get some answers. In her grief, she wasn't really paying attention to whom she was speaking. But, when her name is called, she looks at the person speaking and realises it is Jesus! How joyous she was to see her beloved Jesus standing there! He has one simple request for her, to go and tell the apostles that she had seen Him, and soon He will be going to His Father in heaven. The way Jesus phrases it, He acknowledges that His Father is also OUR Father, God in heaven. And God is the Father to us all. What happy news!! We can take such comfort in this. Regardless of what earthly family we may or may not have, we are assured that we are not alone in this life! I, for one, am so grateful for this! No matter what happens, God will always be looking out for me. 

Building on the reading from John, we see in Acts 2 the rest of Peter's speech to the people. He is telling them that God sent Jesus to be Lord and Saviour, through His death and resurrection. We only need to confess our sins and be baptised, then we will have eternal life with God. 

In verse 40, what really jumps out at me is when Peter says, "save yourselves from this corrupt generation". The society of that time is not much different from our society now. We see corruption and the destruction of faith everywhere we turn. We are becoming a Godless society. Wealth and power is valued more than a humble heart and a desire to serve. Kindness has all but disappeared. Those who live on the fringes of society, the poor, the homeless, the sick, those who are just keeping their heads above water, they are all but ignored. These are the people that Jesus wants! These are the people He spent His life ministering to. These people often have the deepest of faith because they have nothing else to hold on to. 

I can tell you, dear reader, that this is true because I, and my husband, fall into this category. It is my faith that is getting us through this struggle. It is keeping me from all but giving up. I HAVE to believe that God has a plan. There IS a reason for this, even if I can't see it right now. And that's what I'm trying to convey to you, dear reader. Even if things seem hopeless, if things are out of control, if life seems to smack you in the face, you NEED to hold on to the promises given to us from God! I know how it feels when you're struggling. Like God has all but abandoned you, start doubting your faith. I'm right there with you. But, if I give up, if I doubt my faith, what's left? Not much of anything. And that's not a place I want to be. I've been there. It's not pretty. 

So, if you are struggling, if you feel God has put your pleas on mute, or has just left you hanging, don't give up! Keep reaching out for Him! He hears you! I promise!! You can always leave me a comment, even if it's just to ask for prayer. We hold each other up and God holds us up! So keep moving forward.. and, as always, regardless of the struggle... be a nice human! 😇

Father Bill's reflection on today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSouhz4F-ZY 

This video... such a living illustration of today's readings!! Please share it with others! It is "Alive (Mary Magdalene)" by Natalie Grant, from the movie "The Story": https://youtu.be/Om3mm2dv--k

No comments:

Post a Comment